Sep 12, 2012

Who Still Needs Men?

That is the question asked by Greg Hampikian (yes, a man), a professor of biology and criminal justice and author of an article entitled Men, Who Needs Them? that I recently came across on the website of the New York Times. His main point is this:
"...women are both necessary and sufficient for reproduction, and men are neither. From the production of the first cell (egg) to the development of the fetus and the birth and breast-feeding of the child, fathers can be absent. They can be at work, at home, in prison or at war, living or dead."
Pretty drastic words, especially coming from a man. He goes on to say that the human species could survive without major problems if all the males died tonight. If all the females died, we'd have a problem. You've got to give credit to Hampikian though for mentioning this:
"I don't dismiss the years I put in as a doting father, or my year at home as a house husband with two young kids. And I credit my own father as the more influential parent in my life. Fathers are of great benefit. But that is a far cry from 'necessary and sufficient' for reproduction."
He does have a point. Fathers are of great benefit - and I would add of great importance - but they are not necessary for reproduction. Not anymore. Thanks to modern science. Or maybe I should say "due to." I'm not sure we should thank modern science for making us redundant! But as if that wasn't already tough enough to swallow, Hampikian adds insult to injury by saying this:
"Meanwhile women live longer, are healthier and are far less likely to commit a violent offense. If men were cars, who would buy the model that doesn't last as long, is given to lethal incidents and ends up impounded more often?"
Man, that guy really knows how to raise my self-esteem! ;-) Interestingly enough, he does seem a bit deflated by his own insights and so decides to ask a female colleague of his to tell him if there's still anything truly irreplaceable about men. Her answer? "They're entertaining."

What do you think? Let me know in the comments section why you think men are still needed...

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good point, I hadn't thought of that one ;-)

      Delete
  2. actually if you take the air out from the jar with a knife (inside of the cover) it is really easy to open it, so we don't need a man for this...:-P The argument of the text may be scientifically right (even though it sounds funny and kind of weird to me thinking in a world like that)but I do think we still need men for the psychological balance/equilibrium of the world...imagine the world only with women? most women are nice, but also highly competitive ( I do not believe in Darwin and his "natural selection" but in this case is how it would work only with women..:-D)we also tend to be more frivolous and futile and to care to much about small details, while men are a way more easier to deal with...do not get me wrong, I am a woman and loving being one, but analyzing critically, I do not think that the human race would survive only with women (they would kill each other) even if that is scientifically possible...and I am thankful to God for every men, He put on my way, for the better and for the worst also...it taught me a lot of things ( and prepared me for the time, when the right one comes). Actually is perfect that He created us so different and in so many ways, that is why man and woman ( my argument is based in a heterosexual relationship) complete each other, both, in a love relationship, but also in a normal friendship...:-)S.C.

    ReplyDelete